BADMINTONscotland has undertaken a review of the employment and deployment of its coaches and tutors in conjunction with sportscotland.
As a result of this, all coaches and tutors are required to complete and return a declaration that they are self-employed. As of April 2011 no payments will be authorised without this form.
Please note the following:
- Self-employed coaches and tutors have the right to hire someone else – suitably qualified – to carry out the work on their behalf or to hire additional help at their own expense.
- Under the terms of self-employment, if the coach or tutor is unable or unwilling to carry out the work personally, they are obliged to send someone else to do it. The substitute coach or tutor must be suitably qualified.
- Self-employed coaches and tutors will be paid an agreed rate.
- Self-employed coaches and tutors are responsible for providing all equipment.
- Self-employed coaches and tutors are not paid for travel to the session, but can claim this through tax relief (see www.hmrc.gov.uk for details).
- BADMINTONscotland strongly advises coaches and tutors to go to the HMRC website for full details of self-employment status www.hmrc.gov.uk;